When we identify the following signs in societies, we have evidence that secular values have crept into our Christian moral foundations.
1. Devalue humans by promoting women’s choice to electively abort their innocent unborn children. Only 1 percent of abortions are due to rape or incest, so let’s focus on the other 99 percent. This view promotes women’s bodily autonomy over her baby’s right to live, ignoring the woman’s contribution to the act that resulted in the baby’s conception.
2. Empower the strongest in society to eliminate the weakest through elective abortions of unborn children with chromosomal irregularities such as Down’s Syndrome. Iceland has almost eliminated Down Syndrome by aborting almost 100 percent of babies that test positively.
3. Encourage tolerance for unbiblical views that disregard traditional gender roles and the value of marriages between a man and woman.
4. Promote socialism/Marxism/communism over capitalism/free markets. The former is a shift from one power (business owners) to another (the government). At issue is business owners are forced to be efficient and profitable to remain in business, while governments can print money and tax irresponsibly. The latter leads to starvation and widespread corruption, as we’ve witnessed over the past century in the USSR, China, Cambodia, Cuba, Vietnam, and North Korea.
5. Claim people are systemically oppressed in Western societies due to their race and gender. The United States has not eliminated racists, but we have created laws to eliminate systemic racism. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects people from discrimination in the workplace based on race, religion, color, gender, and national origin. Title IX of 1972 protects people from discrimination in education programs or activities based on race, gender, nationality, or ability. The Fair Housing Act of 1968 protects people from redlining, which is a practice that discriminated in the terms, conditions, or privileges of the sale of a dwelling due to race or national origin.
6. Encourage the legalization and/or acceptance of prostitution and related lewd acts that degrade women and corrupt morality. The Harvard Law and International Development Society found that on average, countries with legalized prostitution reported a higher incidence of human trafficking inflows. Furthermore, 82 percent of 2,500 federal trafficking cases involved victims under the age of eighteen.
7. Pretend we have no objective moral values and duties to do what’s right and value life and be kind, fair, just, and truthful with our fellow world travelers. Why? If we have such values and duties that are transcendent to cultures, generations, and people, it follows that we have an objective and transcendent moral lawgiver. Those who deny that believe morality is relative, so they have no objective way to condemn the egregious actions we often see in our own or other societies when such actions are tolerated in those places. Consider human rights violations in China today where they’ve locked up around 1.5 million Uighurs (Muslims) in “re-education” concentration camps. The world can appeal to the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights, which holds the value of life to be axiomatic. This axiomatic value stems from Christianity, as documented in the writings of Tom Holland, Alvin Schmidt, Joel Edmund Anderson, and Francis Schaffer.
“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.” – Galatians 3:28
Identifying the problems we’re facing is the first step in moving society toward Jesus Christ’s ideals, which have fueled our institutions in positive ways for centuries. Christian leaders have provided medicines, property rights, free markets, industriousness, scientific breakthroughs, hospitals, charities, universities, K-12 schools, and egalitarian legal systems. Christian leaders have affirmed our objective moral values and duties, creating societies that elevate individuals and the basic human right to life for both the strong and the weak. Despite so many tremendous achievements over the past 2,000 years, secularists have been creeping in, promoting anti-Christian values and morality. Christian leaders need to come forward today to prevent further societal degradation by eradicating secular creep. If heavenly values thrived in our world while hellish values perished, we would not be able to distinguish this world from heaven.
Thank you for your time.
SJ Thomason is a professor of management who writes blogs on Christianity, politics, and more. You may want to subscribe here and to her YouTube channel, which can be accessed here: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianApologist